Chitika

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Tribute To Carrie Fisher

I'm not usually one to mourn celebrities.  When they die, I usually feel momentary sadness and then life moves on.  Of course I mourn for the lost memories, the amazing people they were, the way they could touch so many lives.  But I didn't really know them- I didn't look forward to hearing their voice, seeing their face, interacting with them.

But Carrie Fisher.  Damn.  She wasn't even on my radar to worry about until she had that massive heart attack.  I just assumed she would go on, doling out sass and anecdotes wherever she went until the end of time, when she would be floating around in space one day, wearing a bra like she knows she's not supposed to do, when said bra would strangle her.  And we would be sad, but also realize that she had already done her best work and so her memories would live on.

("I don't want life to imitate art.  I want life to be art" -Carrie Fisher)

The thing is, she was wonderful as Leia.  She was marvelous as Leia.  Most people would say Leia is her best work.  But, in my humble opinion, Carrie Fisher only got better with age.  She got funnier, she got wiser, she got more candid, she got more open about her struggles.  As Leia, she was ideal and yet attainable, as herself she was so much more.

("I like Princess Leia. I like how she handles things. I like how she treats people. She tells the truth. She, you know, gets what she wants done. I don't have a real problem with Princess Leia. I've sort of melded with her over time." -Carrie Fisher)

Of course, Leia is how she will be remembered, at least by most people.  And why not?  Leia was smart, sassy, in command, pragmatic, romantic, and just vulnerable enough to make her seem real.  She inspired generations of geek girls and stole the hearts of nearly every geek boy in existence.  From her iconic hair to her iconic bikini (both of which Fisher hated), she will forever be remembered and emulated.

(“The father who flipped out about it, ‘What am I going to tell my kid about why she’s in that outfit?’ Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn’t like it. And then I took it off. Backstage.” -Carrie Fisher)

So, we got to know Fisher because of Leia.  If it weren't for Leia, no one would know about the amazing person that is... was... Carrie Fisher.  Personally, I enjoy her books and her interviews and her stand up routines.  She had a way of expressing the struggles and joys of life that was both funny and heartfelt.  And the advocacy that she did for mental illness was unprecedented and inspiring.

(“One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside). At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of.  They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medication.” -Carrie Fisher)

She was especially inspiring to my birth family.  We are all Star Wars fans; also, mental illness is something most people in my family struggle with.  My brother and sister (along with extended family members) all have bipolar disorder, and my sister also has borderline personality disorder.  I have depression, although it was way more severe when I was a teenager than it is now, and ADHD.  Since I have a child with ADHD and a child with Autism, and also a husband with Autism, I have learned a little bit about advocating for those with mental and developmental differences.  So I sincerely appreciate anyone who helps change society's view about people who struggle with these issues, and who can also tell stories of their struggles with such humor and relate-ability.  (Is relate-ability even a word?  Oh whatever.)

It was largely Fisher that inspired my brother to start a podcast dealing with mental illness and the arts.  He is also candid and humorous, and also did a tribute episode.  If you want to listen, follow this link:
 Positive And Negative Podcast

(“I feel I'm very sane about how crazy I am.”-Carrie Fisher)

I admit it, I wanted to meet her.  I wanted to tell her that, as Leia, she helped give women a voice in SciFi, and that, as herself, she helped give many people struggling with mental health issues a voice in real life.  I think she would have appreciated those words.  But I can't tell her that, now, so instead I have to be satisfied with shouting them out into the chaotic information highway that is the Internet, and hope that they resonate with someone who understands.  I hope that her death will push her stories to a wider audience, and that she will continue to inspire people as she inspires me.

(“From here on out, there's just reality. I think that's what maturity is: a stoic response to endless reality. But then, what do I know?”-Carrie Fisher)

I will leave you with some of Fisher's stand up comedy, because her response to life's woes was always to laugh at them.  That, and it's brilliant.


("Because I grew up in a public family, I never really had a private life. And so if those issues are going to be public, I would rather them to be public the way I've experienced them rather than someone else assuming things about me. It's freeing to do it. Shame is not something I aspire to." -Carrie Fisher)

"May the Force be with you" -General Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment